The Medway Branch Railroad

The Medway Branch Railroad was, as the name suggests, a short branch line from the Norfolk County Railroad at North Wrentham, MA (present-day Norfolk), running northwesterly toward Medway, MA, beginning in 1853. (Right-of-Way)

The road offered passengers round trips between Medway to North Wrentham, where they could connect to Boston and points east. If a train wasn't running, passengers could traverse the route via a handcar.

Passenger traffic did not sustain the line, and governmental funding did not come for the venture. In 1863, it came under the umbrella of the Boston Hartford & Erie, along with the Norfolk County Railroad.

Just one year later, the line was abandoned, making it one of the earliest railroad abandonments in Massachusetts.

Image: Boston Hartford & Erie Locomotive “Hooksett” [Medway Historical Society]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Of The Most Amazing Abandoned Railroad Bridges Still Standing Today

The Nearly Forgotten Chicago-Kansas City Expressway, and Why Missouri Has Two Highways Numbered "110"

The World's Most Metal Railroad Crossing: The Billups Railroad Crossing