The St. John & Ophir Railroad
The St. John & Ophir Railroad connected with the Oregon Short Line Railroad, later part of the Union Pacific Railroad at St. John, UT with the Silver mines at Ophir, UT, located about 9 miles to the east. (Right of way)
St. John & Ophir Railroad No. 1 in Ophir, Utah. July 5, 1912. George Pitchard--Donor.
|St. John & Ophir #1 at St. John Station on the Oregon Short Line, c. 1922. George Pitchard--donor. (University of Utah)|
Despite the length of time this line has been abandoned, the western end is quite easy to spot in the arid desert terrain of central Utah. The eastern right-of-way is today Ophir Canyon Rd, and Ophir exists today mostly as a living history museum of the mining activity that occurred there at the beginning of the 20th century.
Thanks as always for reading!