The East Moline & Campbell's Island Railway
|"Crossing the Bridge to Campbell's Island, Watertown, Ill."|
This timber bridge was built in 1904 over an Army Corps of Engineers dam, and converted to road use in 1931 upon the closure of the interurban. The bridge was closed to road traffic in 1936 and replaced in 1938 with a more modern bridge, which was totally rebuilt in 1999.
|Another postcard, "Bridge from Watertown to Campbell's Island"|
The complexity of interurban railway companies is on full display here. The East Moline & Campbell's Island Railway company consolidated with another small line, the Moline, Rock Island & Eastern Railway in 1908. Each was a subsidiary company of the Moline, East Moline & Watertown Railway, who then would merge with the much better named Tri-City Railway.
|"Crossing the Dam to Campbell's Island. Moline, Illinois"|
|From the Illinois Blue Book, 1919-1920|
|The EMCIRwy on our Abandoned & Out of Service Railroad Lines Map. South of here it connected to other interurban railways serving the Quad Cities area.|
|Bathing Beach at Campbell's Island. Who wouldn't want to swim in the Mississippi River?|
Thanks as always for reading!