Grosse Ile Parkway Bridge and its Former Railroad History
|Bicyclists on railroad bridge, 1897 (Grosse Ile Historical Society)|
A railway bridge connected the Island to the mainland of Michigan. Canada Southern Bridge Company, a subsidiary of the Canada Southern, built the rail bridge in 1873. East of the island, railroad cars would be ferried across the river into Canada, where they often would travel to Buffalo and other eastern US cities, that were quicker to access via Ontario than Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.
This bridge, pictured above, would carry rail, automobile, and bicycle traffic until 1932, when it was converted into the Grosse Ile Free Bridge, which remains standing today, although not for rail traffic. Notably, it was closed in 2020 for repairs but is planned to reopen at some point.
|Grosse Ile Michigan Station, 1900. This station location now houses the Grosse Ile Historical Society.|
|"Michigan Central Grosse Isle Depot", 1904. Image via Michigan Railroads|