The Montana Wyoming and Southern Railroad

The Montana Wyoming and Southern Railroad was a short-line railroad in Carbon County, MT, completed in 1906 between Bridger, MT (where it connected with the Northern Pacific Railway), and Washoe, MT, 23 miles southwesterly. It also served nearby Eagle, MT via a branch line. (Right of way)

Yesteryear Depot 1930 image by Paul Eilenburger via SteamLocomotive

It was built to be bought out by the NP, leaving investors with great returns, however it remained independent throughout its life, as NP did not want to deal with promoter Frank Hall, who had built an earlier competing line to the Northern Pacific. 

Given that the line's only connection to the rest of the US rail network was through the NP, they nonetheless retained significant indirect control of the line.

Map and caption from Something of a nuisance value: The Montana Wyoming & Southern Railroad, 1905-1953

The high grade coal of the area nonetheless made the venture profitable for nearly 50 years, until its abandonment in 1953.

The MW&S Depot at Belfry still stands, but is in a somewhat dilapidated state.

Belfry Depot, 2019. Wikipedia Commons.

Thanks as always for reading!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Find, Trace and Share Abandoned Railroad Corridors Near You! (Updated April 2022)

The 10 Most Pointless 3-digit Interstate Highways

The Abandoned Railroad Map of Washington State