The Fairchild & Northeastern Railway
One of the many dozens of logging railroads in the State of Wisconsin was the Fairchild and Northeastern Railroad, which was organized in 1897. It was essentially the successor road to numerous smaller logging lines centered around Fairchild, WI, owned by the N.C. Foster Lumber Company. The two most notable predecessor roads were the Chicago Fairchild & Eau Claire Railroad and the Forseman & Price Lumber Company Railroad, operations on which began as early as 1882 using horse power, more resembling a tramway than a conventional railroad.
|"Fairchild and Northeastern Railroad depot, with first train into Willard on the F&N Line." (Carl R Gray Collection, c.1905)|
The line east of Fairchild became part of the Soo Line Railroad, although it too has ceased operations.